It’s like religion – PC or Mac? Which one to choose? If you ask most people, they will tell you that for business (whether it is for running a construction company or anything else) you should use a PC. We’re here to tell you that it’s purely a matter of preference as far as we are concerned – but there are advantages to each (full disclosure – we are all Mac over here at the PiPlex, but we’re trying to be completely objective here):
- Machines are generally less expensive
- If there is software out there to do something, it is almost certainly available for the PC
- Windows is by far the most popular operating system – so most people are already familiar with it
- More sturdy, elegant designs (and yes – more expensive)
- Software behaves similarly across all applications
- Interfaces perfectly with iPads and iPhones
- iCloud allows for seamless sync and backup
Most people would ask “But doesn’t it come down to the availability of software? Not everything runs on a Mac.” Guilty as charged. Even things like personal finance software aren’t readily available for the Mac. But nowadays, you really should be doing as much as possible online – meaning through a browser. Off the top of my head, I do all of my email, banking, contact management and calendaring completely online. Does that mean that running a construction company online is a good way to go? Well – we’re biased here again (because SiteBoss is entirely, 100% online), but we say yes. If you decide to go that route (and you should at least give it a try), it ends up not mattering what system you use – as long as you are on the Internet with a supported browser.
Does that make the decision easier?